Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Dispatches from the road

 Dispatches from the road. Some of you were here too hear about it and see some pictures from my current journey from Kansas City to Martha’s Vineyard Massachusetts. I’m sending out dispatches from the road primarily on Facebook and on another blog called wholeearthguide.blogspot.com

So go to those two places for the most current updates and I will be sending out videos as well soon but it’s just easier to do it from the whole earth guide. Or Facebook. I’m having a great time here is kind of a recap of last few days hope you enjoy it!


Dispatches from the road:

Day 4

By Bill Poindexter


A recap of the last four days. On the 2 April I made my way out of Kansas City heading south to Louisburg Kansas to the Cedar Cove feline wildlife sanctuary where I was graciously met by Steve Klein the Director. Steve showed me around the facilities and introduced me to the animals: Lions, Tigers and wolves, Mountain lions, leopard, fox, lynx, bobcat, Who are given a second chance in life by the good people of Cedar Cove and it’s an organization need your help as well only 30 miles south of Kansas City I’ll be posting a video of my interview with Steve soon so keep an eye out and I was able to sleep on their property as well and fall asleep to the roars of lions and tigers as well as the Howells howling of the wolves, it truly amazing experience. On day three I made my way east and south east into Missouri on a southeasterly route to the Transamerica bike route which I should connect to you in a couple of days and then I will start heading straight east across Missouri into Kentucky then into Virginia to Yorktown and then north to Martha’s Vineyard Massachusetts. My second day was actually a little bit rough and late in the day I was tired made my way to a Casey’s which is kind of a quick shop and talk to a woman named Cheyenne who wanted to hear about my journey and she was inspired and shared some food with me from the shop and it was her way to be part of my journey probably would never be able to do what I’m doing I can live vicariously via my story, I love that! I found a nice patch of dirt to sleep on that night in a conservation area run by the department of conservation in Missouri and got to sleep soundly in the rain by myself as there was nobody else in the whole area. On day three of my travels I left the conservation area and traversed over back roads saying places that a few people ever see, dirt roads gravel roads places where people live quiet lives and whose lives are inter-weaved with nature. I stopped at a gas station for some coffee and sat in front on the bench and table pulled my food bag from my panniers and made some oatmeal hey man William, from Springfield Missouri befriended me we had a great conversation share similar thoughts on life he wanted to hear about my story and shared some of his own stories as well he said he wanted to buy me lunch and he did actually with what he gave me I can buy quite a few lunches, again was his way to be a part of the journey, and it’s what the street is about to meet people to talk to people to look them in the eye to find the soul and I mean it the soul of America the humanities alive and well and 99% of the people are good and just want a simple life. The rest of the day I spent rolling down dusty gravel roads talking to cattle and singing songs from the 70s like from Bob Seger and the Eagles. And when I wasn’t on the dusty gravel roads I would be on the highway where cars will flyby at 80 miles an hour but fortunately I have a nice wide shoulder so I feel safe. But I do prefer the back roads of America. I made my way to Warsaw Missouri a small quaint town are very friendly people and extraordinary good food I was greeted by Mac the head of the chamber of commerce, and he let me bring my bicycle into the building and charge my phone and charger. He also offered me a place to stay in his backyard so I could pitch by Tent. And then made my way to a double cheeseburger and french fries get the hungry skillet and then to two scoops of ice cream where I’m at to retire gentleman who were diligently consuming the largest banana splits I’ve ever seen in my life! They invited me to join them we had a great conversation about life and their retirement and their families one of the man lives on Cape Cod Massachusetts which is where I’m heading on my journey well actually to Martha’s Vineyard off Cape Cod. Then I made my way back to the chamber where Mac was and again he invited me to his home I graciously took him up on it because I needed to regroup do some laundry get a shower and it’s always nice to stay with a local in a town rather than a hotel. Just then Jen Bradshaw who is a Adventure cyclist pulled up on her mountain bike. Jen and Mac work together on creating events, adventure events as well as teaching kids and their parents here in Warsaw how to ride mountain bikes and have adventures on extraordinary mountain bike trails they have created in Warsaw some of the best I’ve ever seen. I got to ride with 30 young people and their parents on Monday night in a group called kids club, it was so much fun than Mac Jan and I came back to Max place had some dinner learn more about each other I finish my laundry got my first shower in four days and here I am at 4 AM the next morning dictating this into my phone in my tent on the ground in Warsaw Missouri. I’m gonna go back to sleep for a couple hours and then get up and eat some pancakes and sausage eggs and drink copious amounts of coffee figure my route for the day with the help Mac and then roll. Didn’t take a lot of pictures today so you’re gonna have to just enjoy my words. I’ll start to getting to videos soon, mostly you know me as a writer and I do love to write. If you’d like my words in my stories let me know in the comments below! Remember you are to a part of my journey. Thanks to all those who contributed and encouraged me. You are now too many to list so so you know who you are and you know what you mean to me in this journey :-). Peace and love from the road, Bill Poindexter















No comments:

Post a Comment