Sunday, March 27, 2022

What matters most

 Just wrote:

These guys brought up Daniel too!


What really matters; today.


This morning, this Sunday morning- today, I stopped at HJ‘s community center to have a coffee, and as I was leaving I saw two homeless men pushing their cart heading north on the trolley trail. I had come across these two men about two months ago on the trolley trail and had given them some food and they seem very kind. Omi, kind of a white Irish looking guy with red hair and the second guy is Chris a black man from California. They are a couple and they’ve been on the road for two years and have traveled through 30 states. Both are well educated and for various reasons, all physical, have chosen a nomadic lifestyle. Winter is a particularly rough time for the homeless and because this couple is a biracial gay couple they have been ridiculed and attacked many times physically, mentally and spiritually. Today they shared some of their experiences with me and Aimee. And although they’ve had some strong trials -their attitudes towards life are remarkable. Just one week ago they were sleeping in a field that they did not know was private property and the police came and took all their possessions threw them in a dumpster put them in a paddy wagon took them to the police station and then let them loose because they didn’t have any room in the jail to put them in. These two men are very strong Christians they believe in the Bible literally and even their Bible was taken away from them last week by the police and thrown away. They harbor no ill will they’re just trying to live and have the ability to roam free. They’re very kind they’re both on disability and they sell walking sticks that they make themselves from fallen limbs from trees. Today they’re going to be in front of the Panera in Brookside it’s off 63rd St. just one block east of 63rd and Brookside Boulevard. I am giving them two sleeping bags and a backpack. I gave them some food this morning and I made them breakfast at HJ’s community center and gave them two pairs of socks, two thermoses that somebody gave me and two rain jackets that I was going to use for my trip but they needed more than me and I gave them a Bible. I’m going to encourage all of you to take a chance and go down there and meet Chris and Omi. Chris a is shy but Omi likes to  talk. And they need to know that humanity is alive and well in our crazy world. Maybe you might buy a Walking-stick from them. If you do meet them I’m interested in hearing about your experience.


They could use two bikes and a trailer as well. FYI. 


What matters most for these two is a warm place to sleep, food, shelter and warm clothing, personal freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment